Position summary: A Summer Language Institute teacher (or teaching assistant) provides quality instruction in English language skill areas or in a content area during the 3 weeks of SLI. Teachers (and TAs) are given teaching assignments in line with their strengths, experience, and interests. An SLI teaching assignment consists of 3 classroom hours per day (Monday-Friday). Teachers and TAs may also lead or be involved with co-curricular activities, although this is not required.
- Attend all orientation sessions
- Assist with student registration (Registration Day)
- Teach in the classroom three hours each working day
- Prepare appropriate English lessons
- Keep accurate class lists and attendance
- Participate in staff meetings
- Work cooperatively with other teachers (team meetings, sharing resources)
- Design lessons that are suitable for challenging students in the development of their English language skills.
- Develop creative enrichment material to enhance the curriculum or course book
- Create student-centered, active learning classrooms that will benefit all learners
- Collaborate with colleagues by sharing resources and ideas informally and formally
General Institutional Support from LCC
- An orientation to LCC and SLI is held at the beginning of the program
- Teacher meetings are planned to support teachers’ work in the classroom
- All teachers are provided with shared office space and internet/ computer access
- Teachers are required to have at least a Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as general education, foreign or second language teaching methods (TESL,TESOL), linguistics, English, reading, or literacy.
- Preferably, teachers in the program have 3- 5 years of experience teaching, especially experience teaching English as a foreign or second language.
Successful faculty are people who are well-organized, creative, flexible, and comfortable leading a group. Good teachers are those individuals who understand the profession of teaching and take the responsibility of teaching seriously. We advocate an attitude of humility and warmth towards students. We also promote an atmosphere of collegiality and cooperation between teachers.
Summer Language Institute Dates 2024
Orientation for teachers: July 2-5
Registration/placement test for students: Saturday, July 6
Classes: (Monday – Friday) July 8-26
Closing Assembly: July 26