The Intercultural Education Coordinator (IEC) is responsible for planning and delivering intercultural education programming with the aim of promoting intercultural competence development and greater cross-cultural understanding among LCC community members. The Coordinator has oversight of activities in three focal areas that contribute to students’ intercultural competence development: a) intercultural education training; b) leadership development of intercultural student leaders; c) assessment of intercultural competence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Intercultural Education training – train and provide support to University staff, faculty, students, and the broader community on topics of multiculturalism.
2. Leadership development of Intercultural leaders - recruit, train, and mentor student leaders to meet the Leadership development program goals.
3. Assessment of intercultural competence – measure students’ intercultural competence to evaluate the success of programming and initiatives (in partnership with Institutional Research Director)
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean of Students
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Faculty, Registrar, Department Chairs, Student Life staff, Admissions Department
· Bachelor's degree in related field required. Master's degree in Intercultural studies is preferred.
· Knowledge and appreciation of contemporary intercultural issues such as intercultural understanding, equity, human rights, cultural retention.
· Ability to work independently and with others in order to meet program outcomes.
· Excellent written and public speaking skills.
· Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment. Understanding of developmental concerns of youth populations.
· Ability to encourage personal growth in others (mentoring).
· Event coordination. Strong self-motivation and initiative.
Candidates with one or more of the following qualifications:
· Experience in higher education
· Previous work with intercultural issues and international student populations is desirable, experience living in other cultures also desirable.
Workload: Full-time (1.0 FTE)